Although it seems like a relatively new fad, the food-on-wheels industry has been around since the 1950’s. Remember going to the county fair as a kid and getting an ‘elephant ear’ or a corndog? Business is a little different these days. Gourmet food trucks are finding their way to even the most rural of street corners. With this explosion comes a nod towards another sweeping trend. The green movement. Read more
Posts tagged ‘starting a food truck’
Summer’s underway and food entrepreneurs are rockin’ and rollin’. As such, I wanted to catch you up on a few things that some of the entrepreneurs that have been featured on this site currently have going on. Read more
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had the pleasure of being invited by the University of Washington to moderate a panel about food truck ownership at their 2012 Entrepreneur Week. On the panel were four mobile food business owners – some who had been in the game for years and one who was literally just getting the truck’s feet wet but they all had a lot of advice to offer to aspiring food truck owners. Read more
Tenielle Powers is an experienced entrepreneur so the challenges of starting up a new business are nothing new to her. But how would Dallas Forth Worth respond to her newest venture? Crazy Fish is a food truck that serves sushi with a Texas flair. Intrigued? So were we…. Read more
When you see food trucks, food trailers, and food carts on the streets do you dream about stepping behind the wheel yourself? Food on Wheels: The Complete Guide To Starting A Food Truck, Food Cart, or Other Mobile Food Business is, as the title suggests, a one-stop resource fo anyone thinking, dreaming, or considering opening a food truck or other mobile food business.
From the back flap:
Food trucks are hitting the streets from Miami to Maui but greasy reheated tacos and soggy burgers are a thing of the past. Today’s mobile eateries have foodies flocking for gourmet bacon jam burgers, delicious Parisian-style crepes, and decadent handcrafted organic ice cream cones to name just a few. A less expensive alternative to opening a brick-and-mortar restaurant, food trucks, food carts, and even food bicycles can be started by anyone whether you’re a trained chef or an amateur baker. If you’ve ever dreamed of jumping on the food truck bandwagon this book will provide you with all the information necessary to get you on the road. Highlights include:
- Understanding all the startup costs and sources for purchasing or leasing your kitchen on wheels;
- Building a business plan that will guide decision making and set you up for success;
- Obtaining the business licenses, health permits, and parking permits necessary to legally operate;
- Scouting locations for optimal visibility and sales;
- Calculating your true product costs and how to price your menu in a way that will be profitable;
- Connecting with customers inexpensively by using traditional marketing tools and social media to keep them coming back for more; and
- Appendices containing detailed worksheets that clearly walk you through the financial side of the business and comprehensive lists of resources and business licensing offices divided by state and territory.
Food On Wheels: How To Start A Food Truck, Food Cart, or Other Mobile Food Business is available from Amazon.com.